Barbara Jordan / Bayard Rustin Coalition
The Barbara Jordan / Bayard Rustin Coalition works to empower Black communities in Greater Los Angeles by promoting equal marriage rights and advocating for fair treatment of same-gender loving, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and families.
JOB DESCRIPTION OVERVIEW
The Jordan Rustin Coalition (JRC) seeks a dynamic individual with significant experience in the community organizing and electoral arenas to serve as JRC’s Senior Community Organizer. As the lead staff person for JRC, reporting to JRC’s Board of Directors (BD), the Senior Community Organizer will facilitate the BD’s planning and decision-making, assist in the implementation of JRC’s core community and electoral organizing, establish and maintain a field office, and coordinate major activities for the Coalition.
• Develop, launch and coordinate long-term, issue-specific public education and electoral campaigns in partnership with statewide and local LGBT organizations
• Create and lead trainings related to organizing action, both in the field and at meetings, conferences, and events
• Coordinate, plan, and help facilitate Board of Directors meetings, including sub-committee meetings
• Take lead roles as appropriate in alliance building including outreach and development of new partner organization in the Greater Los Angeles Area
• Take lead role as appropriate in developing and facilitating strategic planning processes for the coalition
• Develop and implement communication strategies for JRC
• Take primary responsibility for preparing cohesive and compelling written documents including informational materials, progress reports and other pieces, drawing on materials developed by JRC’s partner organizations wherever appropriate
• Take responsibility as JRC’s primary point of contact for outside inquiries and coordinate communications with funders and allies
• Represent JRC at regional and state meetings where appropriate
• Perform other duties as assigned by the JRC’s Board of Directors
Candidates for the Senior Community Organizer position must have at least three years of significant experience in the community organizing arena including substantial experience with voter engagement strategies. Candidates must possess or demonstrate:
• Broad and deep knowledge, and commitment to the principles, of community organizing as focused particularly on building the power of low-income communities and in African-American Communities
• Commitment to social justice and change consistent with JRC’s principles and goals
• Willingness to work evening and weekend hours when projects demand it.
• Knowledge of and great curiosity about all aspects of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
• Effectiveness in hands-on community organizing work and in alliance-building among community organizing groups and between these groups and other types of organizations
• Effectiveness in managing programs and deploying staff and resources for multi-faceted organization
• Effectiveness in team-building, and in facilitating and managing participatory decision making processes
• Ability to work well and democratically with diverse people, cultures and communities and, in particular, with grassroots community organizations
• Excellent communications skills – writing, speaking, media relations
• Excellent strategic thinking and planning abilities
• Resilience and enthusiasm
• Relevant knowledge and experience in organizing African-American communities in Los Angeles
• Experience in developing start-up social justice organizations
• Experience directing or implementing electoral field operations
• Experience as a leader or primary staff person in work aimed at empowering communities of color
SALARY AND BENEFITS
For fiscal and administrative purposes, JRC is currently a project of Center for Health Justice, based in West Hollywood, and the Senior Community Organizer will become a CHJ employee. This is a full-time position at $35,000 – 50,000, commensurate with education and experience, plus excellent benefits. CHJ offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
APPLYING FOR CONSIDERATION
Qualified applicants should submit a current resume and a cover letter describing their reasons for applying for this position. Interviews will begin on Friday, September 28th. 2007. Resumes and cover letters should be sent by email as soon as possible to JRC’s President of the Board, Ron Buckmire, at email@example.com.