- Still banging away on an anti-oppression training manual for facilitators working with children of LGBTQ parents. This is challenging because of the broad audience for which I'm writing--youth and adults; folks of differing racial, ethnic, and class backgrounds; people with various family structures/compositions; and of course those with varying degrees of familiarity and experience working with youth and people of color and discussing the intersections of oppression. I'm finding it hard sometimes to articulate what I know in a manner that all parties will find useful.
- I'm writing an annual report. This is much simpler for some reason.
- My current work assignment ends February 29th, so I'm looking for another job for March. Games and really interesting tech are kinda calling to me again. Let me know if you hear of something.
- I'm trying to wrangle musicians to put together a jazz performance at an upcoming Hubba Hubba Revue at the Uptown in Oakland.
- I'm the press secretary for a congressional campaign. The candidate hasn't announced yet; more about that soon.
- As a member of Just Cause and the Oakland Rising coalition, I'm a team leader for our electoral work--this means I'm organizing canvassers to door-knock and phone bank to make sure voters in the flatlands of East and West Oakland turn out for the February, June, and November elections.
In fact, if you live in Oakland and I have your email address, you should have received a message yesterday about the canvassing we're doing this Saturday for the February 5th primary. Here are the details:
As the electoral season is upon us, we're trying to get out the vote for the February, June, and November elections. Not only is the White House up for grabs this year, but plenty of local and state seats, not to mention measures that more directly affect our communities, will be on the ballot. We want Oakland to come out in full-force and vote, so I'm asking you guys--most of whom live or have lived in Oakland--to walk a precinct with me to get out the vote.
What? We'll ask registered, "occasional" voters if they're planning to vote on Feb. 5, who they intend to vote for, and what issues are most important to them.
When? Saturday, January 26th at 10 a.m.
Where? Meet up at the Just Cause office, 1611 Telegraph Ave # 415, Oakland, CA 94612.
Please let me know if you're interested in coming!
ALTERNATIVELY: We also need people to staff our phone bank Tuesday-Thursday of this week and next, from 5-8 p.m. We'll be calling the people whose doors we've knocked on to remind them to vote, make sure they know where their polling places are, and find out if they need rides.
I'll be phone banking next Wednesday, January 30th. Please let me know if you're interested in doing that instead.
- I'm also involved with the Just Cause steering committee, am still participating in the JCO study group, and am involved with two work groups (Oakland tenant rights and public housing/Section 8). It's a lot of time and energy, but it feels good.
- One of these days, I should write again--something that isn't a training manual or annual report or policy summary. I think I may have just enough time to start writing a daily haiku or senryu.